Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh, The Memory!

The girls and J have been memorizing Scripture verses weekly for months. When the older children were younger, I had a general plan for what verses we would memorize like the Romans Road and character trait study going along with our homeschooling lessons but I didn't have a life-long plan for them. We have one now! We have a list of 500 Bible verses (which will take nine years to complete memorizing one verse each week) and they are through 95 of them. I say they because the last six months of life for me have been pregnancy-brain and they have left me in the dust. I am still on verse number thirty-five. (They are in Proverbs and I am still in Psalm and that is the huge spread between us.) We are also learning the Westminster Shorter Catechism. They are on Question 22 and I am still on Question 19. My mind will simply not retain the information that I am taking in (or trying to take in) when memorizing these verses and answers to questions. Now, WJ just memorized the SECOND verse in the whole series so although he is slow on the upswing, once it kicks in, he can hide these precious words in his heart along with us. He can say Genesis 1:1 and 2:7 on his own with no prompting now. It makes me cry! No Greater Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment