Friday, March 6, 2009

Looming Laundry

Among many of the topics we share when gathering together as moms, one topic that generally comes up in some shape or form is LAUNDRY. We all have it. We all have to do it...if we want clean clothes! I wanted to share ideas that we have adapted for our family over the years.

We use sturdy, plastic shelves that hold our laundry baskets. We sort the dirty laundry right into the labeled baskets (we have several) and when they are full enough for me to see that it needs done, I wash a load. I don't have to mess with dragging out the laundry into the hallway near the laundry room and sorting the clothes, towels, cleaning rags, etc., not to mention stumbling over it all day or having it greet whomever stops by. It stays confined to the room hidden neatly behind the door and is washed as needed.

I don't do laundry on the weekends but Monday is a big wash day. It works for me. I typically do laundry every week day and usually in the morning. I even set a timer so that I don't forget that I have something in the washer that needs to be moved to the dryer.

OxyClean is a huge help in the laundry room. I soak things over night in the washer with two scoops of this great cleaner and most everything comes out the first time! Even old yellow stains! We have even used it as a carpet cleaner and it works well!

I keep a container for our cleaning rags in the laundry room next to the cleaners so that I can just drop them right back into it when they come out of the dryer. (I used to fold the cleaning cloths! HUGE time-waster!)

I have a small area to place hangers that are then available when clothing comes out of the dryer so I can hang it promptly. Less ironing! Each week, one child is assigned to collect the empty hangers throughout the house.

If you have any helpful hints to add, please share them! Thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful ideas, Ann! I should start working on this instead of just having one large pile. It would sure help the girls and I do laundry more efficiently. My mom didn't have the shelves, but did have labeled baskets.

    ReplyDelete