Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Caroling!

Many times throughout the year, we get together as homeschooling families to have special opportunites of service to others. Recently, several families gathered to rake leaves at the home of a homeschooling family that moved away but still own a home locally. Some gather to Walk for Life and some send cards to the military members overseas.

Today, several families met at a local nursing home to sing Christmas carols to the residents. They are so welcoming and enjoy the music. If they aren't sitting in the social hall before we begin, they hear the singing and it draws them to the room. It is so fun to see them singing along with us without songbooks or words except those written in their hearts.
My mom set time aside in her day to join us and play the piano for the carolers and we even had several young men sing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen! They all did a super job! What a blessing the voices were to my heart and others. We even sang Happy Birthday to those with December birthdays for their cake and ice cream celebration.

It was also a sad day for me as one of my very special friends was spending their family's last day in town there caroling, too. I am so thankful to God for her in my life and I will miss her and her family very much! Being military for twenty years might make one think that I had gotten used to saying good-bye but I didn't. I miss her already!

We are going to plan for a spring reunion of singers to reach out to the widows and widowers with music for the celebration of the resurrection of our King! You are welcome to join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment