Monday, March 28, 2011

Hey, Mr. Postman!

As the weather is looking more like Spring, my mother's heart is thrilled! Each day as I pray for my children, I cover my mailman-son in prayer: safety, warmth or dryness from rain which will soon change to coolness in the heat, protection from dogs biting him, strength for his knees and ankles and also for those people to whom he delivers mail.

My mom's brother carried mail until he retired from the USPS and now my oldest son "carries" on the tradition. He is out in the worst weather...you know, the kind that is just door-to-vehicle but is so bitter cold. He walks his route. Daily. When I am all warm at home, my thoughts go to him and his duty he carries out no matter what his circumstances. He is also out in the most wonderful weather. He loves it! He has always loved the outdoors and working hard! But being aware of his situation has made me more aware of our mailman. Knowing all he goes through, it has helped me see the need to show kindness to our letter carrier. Since I am able to save so much money using coupons, I have things available to share as gifts with him. We have also included our trash collectors and UPS delivery person in the receivers of these gifts. I know that they are doing their job but how great to be able to offer a simple thank you gift to encourage them including the holiday seasons.

I am so thankful for those people who open their door and greet him with a smile and a cold water bottle in the summer. It touches my heart! I'm thankful for those who have offered for him to get warm within their homes even though he cannot accept. In his heart, it must warm him as though he had entered!

No comments:

Post a Comment